Author Topic: SWGEmu Download & Installation Guide (Updated)  (Read 8838 times)

Offline Darchind

• The Dark Angel
  • Imperial Grand Director
  • Veteran Contributor
  • Destroyer of Clans
    • The Imperial Movement
SWGEmu Download & Installation Guide (Updated)
« on: July 04, 2010, 08:35:53 PM »
IMPORTANT NOTE:

All of the following assumes that you have already registered an account at the SWGEmu forums. If you have not done that yet, please do so before proceeding to read any of the content below this paragraph. The username and password you register on the SWGEmu forums will be the same username and password you use to login to the game once you have downloaded and installed the Launchpad Enhanced client for SWGEmu.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First and foremost, those of you own a copy of Star Wars Galaxies or have played Star Wars Galaxies in the past and would like to replay the experience of the great pre-CU era of the game may find it more than a bit frustrating to find the download link for SWGEmu. Initially, I found it frustrating too, as there was nothing apparent on their website about it. Due to the disorganization of SWGEmu, I had to track the download link through Google.

SWGEmu is not a game. It is, in fact, a modified version of the "Launchpad" program that comes with Star Wars Galaxies by default. However, the modified version of the Launchpad program, so named, "Launchpad Enhanced," connects you to SWGEmu's servers and not the official servers. Currently, the only available server for SWGEmu is the Nova Test Center, where many veteran players like myself have gathered.

Download Launchpad Enhanced
To play SWGEmu, you will first need the Launchpad Enhanced program, which will download the necessary files. Download it here: http://www.launchpadenhanced.com

Once you have downloaded the file (there are two different versions of it, but both are technically the same with different skins), proceed to run its setup.

You must have Star Wars Galaxies already installed. If you do not own a legal copy of the game, you can purchase one for $9.99 USD to $19.99 USD at most stores. Refer to www.Amazon.com if you cannot find it.

Note to Users with 64-bit Windows: If you have a 64-bit operating system, you may need to manually define your Star Wars Galaxies installation directory during the requirements test prompt where it scans your machine for a number of things and reports whether they have passed or failed. Chances are, if you have a 64-bit operating system like I do, your Star Wars Galaxies installation will be in C:\Program Files (x86) and not C:\Program Files\ as it is by default. If you do not define the installation directory of Star Wars Galaxies, SWGEmu may never detect the game installed on your system. Make sure you define it.

Set the Server

Once you have Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (legal copy) and the Launchpad Enhanced software installed, running the Launchpad Enhanced program should first result in the appearance of a "test" prompt that will reveal whether or not you have the prerequisites -- the game files, etc. Afterward, you should arrive at the Launchpad Enhanced interface. Click on the "servers" drop-down menu to the upper-right hand corner of the interface. Set the server to "Official" and it will proceed to download and update the necessary files.

When the process is finished, the "Play" button will become available.

Should you experience any technical problems, you may want to tweak your graphics settings by clicking "Game Options" in the main menu.

Lord Darchind,
Imperial Grand Director
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:48:28 AM by -{{<Lord_Darchind>}}- »

Trinity606

Re: SWGEmu Download & Installation Guide (Updated)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 06:56:35 AM »
I am having problems logging into the game. It keeps telling me automatic registration has been disable and I have to contact an administrator. Has the game been shut down?

Offline Darchind

• The Dark Angel
  • Veteran Contributor
  • Destroyer of Clans
    • The Imperial Movement
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 08:57:31 AM »
The game has not been shut down. I was just playing it myself earlier today. Although, I did have login problems for a bit. They were resolved when I changed my password. It might be in your best interest to do what it says and contact the administrator. Perhaps they are no longer allowing people to automatically login after registering on the forums, but having them contact an administrator first.

Offline Darchind

• The Dark Angel
  • Veteran Contributor
  • Destroyer of Clans
    • The Imperial Movement
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:58:18 AM »
And if that doesn't work, try making a completely new account.

Offline Daemonicus

• Imperial Overlord
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 02:43:41 AM »
You just have to reboot the game.