Author Topic: Intellectual Problems with Heroes & Villains  (Read 43 times)

Darchind

• Imperial Grand Director
  • Veteran Contributor

• View Profile
Intellectual Problems with Heroes & Villains
« on: October 05, 2017, 07:15:47 AM »
Ever since DICE began development of the first Star Wars Battlefront game, there have been severe intellectual problems with the way heroes and villains have been implemented.

They look nice. They animate nice. So, why are they cringe-worthy?

In the current Star Wars Battlefront II beta, Darth Maul is the best he has ever looked in a video game. Yet, the character absolutely sucks, and players should feel more inclined to use regular infantry. Simply put, Darth Maul cannot deflect blaster fire, resulting in him dying over and over again once his very finite amount of hitpoints are expended. This limitation was no doubt imposed with the intention of alleviating the "god status" of heroes and villains in the first Star Wars Battlefront game, where players with the highest kill counts were given leeway to repeatedly grief everybody else with one-hit kills.

My solution would have been to exclude heroes from the core gameplay and limit them only to the Heroes & Villains mode, or some sort of Heroes & Villains mode, where development would not ever have to be concerned with balancing them against regular infantry.

The crux of the intellectual problems with the implementation of heroes and villains is just that: incorporating the presence of flagship, iconic characters without impeding against the core mechanics. DICE has failed to do that but has succeeded in everything else. Then again, the original Star Wars Battlefront and Star Wars Battlefront II games failed to do that as well.
"Just as every cop is a criminal, and all the sinners saints; as heads is tails, just call me Lucifer 'cause I'm in need of some restraint! So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and have some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste."

Merantle

• Imperial Overlord
  • Forum Contributor

• Personal Text
    Hail
    • View Profile
Re: Intellectual Problems with Heroes & Villains
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 09:32:24 PM »
I agree.

I played the first one extensively and there was a lot about it I didn't like.

Flying around and decimating the enemy with a cackling old Palpatine was memorable.
- Merantle -

Darchind

• Imperial Grand Director
  • Veteran Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 08:58:54 AM »
I've been playing DICE's first Battlefront game quite a bit lately. Though, I have had the game since December 2015. Heroes and villains are, conversely to Battlefront II, overpowered in the first game.

Some players were quite angry that I was spawn-killing them, albeit accidentally, last night. In truth, I was trapped in the room where they spawned and I didn't know where else to go. This was at the mining facility on Bespin.
"Just as every cop is a criminal, and all the sinners saints; as heads is tails, just call me Lucifer 'cause I'm in need of some restraint! So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and have some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste."

Merantle

• Imperial Overlord
  • Forum Contributor

• Personal Text
    Hail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 06:37:59 PM »
I've done that numerous times. Time it just right with Luke and you're sure to slay 10 to upwards of 50 enemies in a very short time.
- Merantle -