Author Topic: Battlefront II Has a Pay-to-Win System Afterall  (Read 56 times)

Darchind

• Imperial Grand Director
  • Veteran Contributor

• View Profile
Battlefront II Has a Pay-to-Win System Afterall
« on: October 23, 2017, 08:48:55 AM »
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-battlefront-2s-pay-to-win-complaints-are/1100-6454189/

Highly evasive response from the art director of the Star Wars Battlefront II campaign. He seems to want to focus on the alleged balance that the star cards and loot crates bring to the game, rather than address the question of microtransactions being the only efficient means for the acquisition of those things.

Aside from EA Games' general ineptitude with regard to quelling the cheating epidemic that has plagued all of its games, this is just another reason I am glad that I have canceled my preorder of the game. The first Star Wars Battlefront game is actually better, in my opinion, for all its flaws, now that I am aware of the microtransaction-driven nature of the second.
"Just as every cop is a criminal, and all the sinners saints; as heads is tails, just call me Lucifer 'cause I'm in need of some restraint! So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and have some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste."

Darchind

• Imperial Grand Director
  • Veteran Contributor

• View Profile
Re: Battlefront II Has a Pay-to-Win System Afterall
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 08:56:07 AM »
Let me also add, there are still plenty of free-to-play games that are also microtransaction-driven. The key point being that unlike Star Wars Battlefront II, they do not have an initial $59.99 price tag. With Star Wars Battlefront II, the consumer is ultimately paying for the Star Wars name and for eye candy.

There is potential for a blowback, in my opinion. Star Wars Battlefront, the first game, may actually see a resurgence in its population once players deduce that it is far more cost friendly than the second game and it is more loose and less constrictive.

The same phenomenon has already occurred with regard to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare versus all of its successors. Players have repopulated Call of Duty: Modern Warfare in rejection of less than desirable things done to the newer titles.

Ironically, the deficiencies of the second game compel my newfound appreciation for the first, when all I could previously do was complain about the first game's shortcomings.
"Just as every cop is a criminal, and all the sinners saints; as heads is tails, just call me Lucifer 'cause I'm in need of some restraint! So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and have some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste."