Author Topic: "Multi-Gaming" Themes Do Not Work  (Read 1279 times)

Darchind

• Imperial Grand Director
  • Veteran Contributor

• View Profile
"Multi-Gaming" Themes Do Not Work
« on: October 03, 2015, 12:03:24 PM »
We have the perfect hierarchy. We have the perfect system in place for multi-gaming purposes. And yet, we have no recruits to show for any of it. Why is this?

Over the past year, I have thought about the general direction of this organization and where it has gone wrong. It seems every gaming association has seen the demise of its roster at one point or another after adopting the "multi-gaming" theme. The general idea is to maximize rosters and versatility by shaping the respective hierarchy to encompass multiple online multiplayer games of interest, rather than just one.

Though perfect on paper and in theory, it occurs to me that this theme carries a consequence of its own.

In order to have a successful member base anywhere, the leaders must first be interested in leading. If leaders are tasked with the burden of managing divisions for multiple games of interest, they can very quickly feel overwhelmed. Online gaming starts to feel like labor for which there is no compensation for time and effort, other than the reward of having members for the sake of having members. It is, therefore, a disincentive.

I am considering the restoration of the GIA and GIN brands under a focus on just a single game. That game, from the looks of things, may be the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront game. Rather than focus on APB, Hawken, Diablo III, Battlefield 4, Insurgency and all these other titles that have failed to sustain any long-term interest for most of us who remain, I think we should go back to our roots and focus only on a single game for recruiting efforts, while we treat every other game as a passtime.
"Just as every cop is a criminal, and all the sinners saints; as heads is tails, just call me Lucifer 'cause I'm in need of some restraint! So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and have some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste."

Merantle

• Imperial Overlord
  • Forum Contributor

• Personal Text
    Hail
    • View Profile
Re: "Multi-Gaming" Themes Do Not Work
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 06:39:16 PM »
I think we should go back to our roots and focus only on a single game for recruiting efforts, while we treat every other game as a passtime.

Do it.

Even if Battlefront became obsolete, there will be more Star Wars titles in the not so distant future.
- Merantle -

Darchind

• Veteran Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 09:14:05 AM »
It is not the Star Wars theme per se that binds us, but the strict, military-based chain of command that makes us who we are. Being a "clan" where players get together to "have fun" and enjoy each other's company has always been commonplace, if not mediocre. If we conformed to that model, we would be no different than any other association out there.

History has shown us that every single group that attempted such a model, a model without ranks and structure, was always bound to fail. eXistence collapsed because its model was so exploitable by our tactics. TR failed because it imploded. IL failed in under seventy-two hours for the same reason. Then, in 2011-2012, the tS group failed, as well, for the same reason.

The absence of ranks is the democratization of a group's structure. If everyone has equal say, everyone has equal credibility, and there can be no leadership or sense of direction.

Multi-gaming platforms, on the other hand, put more stress on recruitment and expansion than on cohesion and organization.
"Just as every cop is a criminal, and all the sinners saints; as heads is tails, just call me Lucifer 'cause I'm in need of some restraint! So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and have some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste."

Darchind

• Veteran Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 09:14:45 AM »
Interesting that this topic has been revived after two years.